Decennial Report Filing


54 Pa.C.S. § 503 requires a decennial filing for any association that has not made or amended any filing with the Corporation Bureau from January 1, 2002 to December 31, 2010. Failure to file the decennial report between January 1, 2011 and December 31, 2011 eliminates the association's exclusive right to the name.

Q. What is a decennial filing or decennial report?

A. In general, it is a report of an entity’s continued existence or use of certain marks. 54 Pa.C.S. § 503, § 1314, § 1515. Decennial filings are made every ten years during the years ending with the numeral "1" (e.g. 2001, 2011, 2021). The legislative intent for requiring these filings is to identify business names or marks that are no longer in use so that they may be reissued and placed back into the stream of commerce.

Q. Who is required to file a decennial report?

A. All domestic and foreign profit and nonprofit corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, limited liability partnership that are not also limited partnerships, business trusts, insignias and "marks used with articles and supplies" that have not made a new or amended filing with the Corporation Bureau from January 1, 2002 through December 31, 2011 shall during the year 2011, file in the Department of State a report that they continue to exist. 54 Pa.C.S. § 503(b)(1), § 1314(b), § 1515(b). Fictitious names and trademarks are not required to make decennial filings.

Exceptions to decennial filing requirement (54 Pa.C.S. § 503(b)):

Q. When are the above required to file the decennial report?

A. The decennial report must be filed every ten years in the years ending with the numeral "1" (e.g. in the calendar year 2011, from January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011; in the calendar year 2021, from January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021). Please note, it is important that the form be filed after January 1, 2011. Decennial filings submitted prior to January 1, 2011 will not meet the decennial report filing requirement.

Q. How will entities required to file a decennial report be notified?

A. On or after November 1, 2010, the Department will give notice of the decennial filing requirement to all affected associations or entities. The notice will be made by mail at the registered office address of each affected entity, and will be accompanied by appropriate decennial filing forms and instructions. 15 Pa.C.S. § 132(d) Decennial Report - Insignia/Mark Used With Articles or Supplies or Decennial Report of Association Continued Existence will accompany the notice. Please note, if the association or entity responsible for filing a decennial report has moved, they may not receive the notice. Please contact M. BURR KEIM COMPANY so we can conduct a search.

Q. Will there be forms to complete for the decennial filing requirement?

A. Decennial Report-Insignia, form number 54-1314, Decennial Report of Association Continued Existence, form number 54-503 or Decennial Report-Mark Used with Articles or Supplies, form number 54-1515 will accompany the notice, or may be obtained from M. BURR KEIM COMPANY. (Click Here)

Q. What if an entity required to file a decennial report does not receive a notice?

A. Failure by the Department to give notice to a party, or failure by a party to receive notice of a decennial filing requirement does not relieve a party of the obligation to make the decennial filing. 15 Pa.C.S. § 132(d) We understand the Department of State, Corporation Bureau will have a database available to check the status of an association or entity to determine if a decennial report filing is required.

Q. Is there a fee associated with the filing of the Decennial Report?

A. The filing fee is $70, made payable to the Department of State. M. BURR KEIM COMPANY will be happy to file your form for a nominal fee of $25.00. Please contact our office for more information.

Q. What are the consequences if a corporation or other association which is required to file a decennial report does not make a Decennial filing?

A. If any non-exempt entity fails to file a decennial report during the filing period from January 2, 2011 through December 31, 2011, it no longer has exclusive use of its name on or after January 2, 2012. While the business entity continues to exist, its name becomes available for any corporation or other association registering to do business in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania which may request it. 54 Pa.C.S. § 504

Q. What are the consequences if an entity with a registered insignia or a mark used with articles and supplies does not file a Decennial Report?

A. If an entity having a registered insignia or "mark used with articles and supplies" does not file a decennial report prior to January 1, 2012, it shall no longer be deemed to be registered. Such registration may be restored only by the filing of an original application for registration. 54 Pa.C.S. § 504

Q. What if a decennial report is filed after the deadline?

A corporation or other association which has failed to file a report from January 1 through December 31, 2011 may do so at any later time, which filing shall reinstate the name of the corporation or other association on the register unless its name has been appropriated during the period of the delinquency. 54 Pa.C.S. § 505



215-563-8113 OR 800-533-8113 (OUTSIDE 215 AREA CODE)